History

In the heart of Florence since 1733

Gilli is the oldest café in the city of Florence. Established by a Swiss family in Medici-era Florence, it started as a pastry shop steps away from the Duomo. in the mid-1800s, thanks to its success, it moved to a bigger location in Via degli Speziali, near the new Piazza vittorio Emanuele. In the early 1900s, Gilli took the step that would launch it into the modern era, moving to its final and current location in Piazza della Repubblica.

Always known as an elegant stage and living room for city life, in the 1900s, Caffè Gilli served as a meeting place for famous writers, intellectuals, and artists.

The only example of Florentine Liberty-style café, it is a mandatory stop for both locals and tourists, all of whom appreciate its characteristic appeal and historic value.

Caffè Gilli belongs to the Association of Historic Establishments in Italy.

Shop Online

The selection of Caffè Gilli products will soon be available online